4 Things You Should Know About California Condo Insurance

California Condo Insurance

If you are looking to purchase a condominium in California it’s important to do your due diligence and understand the difference between owning a free-standing home and purchasing a condo unit.

One of the most important differences between a free-standing home and a condo is the type of insurance policies and coverage you’ll need to purchase. 

It’s also important to know the differences between renters and condo insurance. By owning a unit, you need to purchase the correct policy. 

In this article, we will discuss some of the major aspects of California condo insurance so that you can purchase the best policy for your needs and protect yourself, your condo, and your belongings.

Buying A Condo In California

Did you know that in the state of California it is required that all condominium buildings are run by a Homeowners Association (HOA)? 

When looking to purchase a condo the HOA will inform you if getting insurance is necessary and a prerequisite to purchasing the unit.

We believe that it is necessary no matter what to have insurance on your condo in California, so even if it’s not required it is highly recommended. 

Doesn’t My Condo Have Insurance? 

Yes, but it is not specific to each unit. Every condo master insurance policy is different for every condo building so it’s important to look it over and purchase the coverage NOT included in the master policy. 

Coverage in the master policy will most likely include: 

  • Building exterior
  • Walkways and hallways
  • Common areas: tennis courts, gyms, lobby, elevators, pool
  • Injuries sustained in common areas

In some cases, the master policy will also cover the walls, floors, ceilings, fixtures, and anything that came with the unit before you moved in. This is definitely an important piece of information to know as it will help determine what is covered in your own policy.

California condo insurance

What Does My Condo Insurance Cover?

Your condo insurance covers what your HOA master policy doesn’t, which is why it’s crucial to get a copy of the policy for your insurance agency to look over before deciding what is needed. 

Here is what should be covered in your basic policy:

  • Personal property: furniture, clothing, appliances, electronics
  • Personal liability: legal fee coverage and medical bill coverage in case a guest is injured in your unit
  • Guest medical: covers medical bills of injured persons regardless of who is at fault

You may also need to have building property protection added into your policy which includes the ceilings, walls, fixtures, and other built-in elements. This is needed if your condo’s master policy doesn’t cover it. 

Difference Between HO-6 and HO-3 Policies

An HO-6 policy is what you will need to get as a condo owner, while an HO-3 policy is the most common policy designed for single-family homes. You won’t need the type of coverage that is included in an HO-3 policy because it also includes the home’s exterior, surrounding land, and additions like a garage or shed. 

An HO-3 policy is usually more expensive than an HO-6 policy as well. 

Purchase The Right California Condo Insurance With Insurance By Castle

If you’re looking to purchase a condo, you’ll need the right California condo insurance and we are here to help. As a 3rd generation family-owned and operated business we here at Insurance By Castle understand the importance of protecting your home, your family, and your belongings. 

We are dedicated to getting you the right policy that covers everything the condo association’s master does not. 

For more information about the type of insurance you should purchase, contact us today to get a quote

To learn more about the types of insurance and coverage you may need, we encourage you to browse our website, follow us on social media and check out the other articles on our blog page like the difference between Renters Insurance vs. Tenant Insurance In California. 

Scroll to Top