Condo Insurance Vs. Homeowners Insurance: Key Differences

Condo Insurance Vs. Homeowners Insurance

Are you looking to downsize, retire to a new place or simply start a new adventure in a condo? 

If so, this article is exactly what you need to know when you decide to move from a property to a condominium in California or anywhere else in the country! 

As a future condo owner, you need to know that a condo insurance policy is different from a traditional homeowners insurance policy. It’s important to know how they differ and what will be covered in this new policy. 

At Insurance By Castle, we are the leading home and condo insurance agency in California, and we know how crucial it is to have the right protection for your needs. Read what a few of our customers have said.

In this article, you’ll learn the difference between condo insurance vs. homeowners insurance and everything you need to know about how to best safeguard your dwelling, self, and personal belongings.


There is a reason why home insurance and condo insurance fall under different categories when it comes to policies. 

Homeowners insurance is considered an HO-3 policy and Condo insurance is considered an HO-6 policy. 

The main difference in the two policies is the structure coverage. 

When you own a home, your insurance policy covers the home’s structure, the property surrounding it, and anything on the property like a garage. 

As a condo owner, you own the space and dwelling INSIDE the building. You don’t have any ownership over the building or structure itself. 

When you live in a condominium you’ll have a Condo Owners Association (COA) membership fee or Condo Master Policy which is similar to a Homeowners Association fee. This takes care of things like public spaces, lawn maintenance, etc. 

Personal Property

Obviously in any home, you have personal property that needs protection. In a home that you own, you’ll most likely own all of your appliances and furniture, but in a condo, you might be pleasantly surprised and be lucky enough to have a fully furnished space with appliances included. 

You’ll need to insure your personal property that you would want to be replaced or repaired in case of an incident, but your condo insurance won’t cover anything that’s already “included” in the condo itself. 

Again, the master policy fee that you pay will help to replace “condo” owned property in case of any problems that are not caused by you (the condo owner).


If you only own your space inside of a condo, you only have to worry about what happens INSIDE of that space when it comes to liability insurance.

As a homeowner of a residential property, you’ll be responsible for anything that happens on your property or inside your home that is deemed your fault to negligence (aka dog bites, unkempt sidewalks, faulty stairs or railings, etc.)

If you own a property that you rent out, you’ll need landlord liability insurance, which you can read about in our previous article, “What Is Landlord Liability Insurance”! 

Interested In Learning More About The Difference Between Condo Insurance Vs. Homeowners Insurance? Contact Insurance By Castle Today! 

If you own both a residential property and a condo or are looking to move into a condominium in the future, it’s time to discuss condo insurance vs. homeowners insurance with an experienced insurance agency today! 
Schedule a call with our team to get a quote on the right insurance policy for your needs at a price you can afford!

Scroll to Top